Neville and the Gum Wrappers... a theory
Mattie Mayson
2004-07-06 20:27:38 UTC
If you aren't already sick of my theories, brace yourself for another one.
Or cover your head and cry. Either will do.

The Really Sticky Gum Wrapper Theory

I figured this had probably already been theorizied by people in the
newsgroup, but when I look at the "Unresolved Story Threads" I don't see it
mentioned anywhere. If you already thought of it/posted it, my apologies.

Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers. I suspect that once somebody at St. Mungo's figures this out, and
possibly we're going to see this happen after the nurse of that particular
ward gets her comeuppance for letting poor Mr. Bode strangle from an
anonymously-sent Devil's Snare, a new nurse might be put in charge of the
ward and we see a miraculous recovery. The nurse who was on duty when Harry
& co. visited seemed more than a little negligent, letting them get into the
supposedly locked ward in the first place. It's apparently not very secure.

In one of the books, it's mentioned that Lucius Malfoy is a very kind and
generous donor to St. Mungo's. Why? He doesn't really seem to be the...
er... philanthropic type, if you know what I mean. Now that he's in prison,
it would be interesting (and another possible resolution) if the gum gifts
stopped appearing in St. Mungo's and the Longbottoms regained their
memories.

Another benefit to this theory would be the fact that it would explain why
Neville's so forgetful. Who's to say he hasn't chewed a piece of their gum
from time to time when visiting his parents?

Another thing to point out is the name of the ward for people with serious
spell damage. Isn't it the Janus Something ward? Those of you who know your
Roman gods will remember that Janus was the two faced god..... which might
be more than a little symbolic of what's going on inside it.

After all, the person who strangled Bode probably wouldn't think too
kindly upon the actions of the Longbottoms as being part of the original
OotP.

-Mattie

"Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect."

-Margaret Mitchell

email/flame/send free donuts to:
***@yahoo.com

(Please assume that I do not see your responses
unless you cc me. I'm currently moving house.)
DM
2004-07-06 20:42:04 UTC
Post by Mattie Mayson
If you aren't already sick of my theories, brace yourself for another one.
Or cover your head and cry. Either will do.
The Really Sticky Gum Wrapper Theory
I figured this had probably already been theorizied by people in the
newsgroup, but when I look at the "Unresolved Story Threads" I don't see it
mentioned anywhere. If you already thought of it/posted it, my apologies.
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers.
Or, Hang on for this, the gum wrappers actually contain a magic spell,
bit by bit, and she's giving them to Neville so he may help defeat
Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers, they'll create a
completed weapon. Harry will then throw the gum wrapper ball at
Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord once and for all.

(It's Tequila night!)
--
DM
---

,_,
(O,O)
( )
-"-"-

---
"RUN, SCABBERS, RUN!" - Jenny LeStrange
"My momma always told me, Evil is as Evil does..." - Voldemort Gump

HPCode(v1.1) S PS++COS++POA+++*GOF+++OOTP+++FF= QA
CH+++DD+++HB-HM+*PO+++TR+AR++CM++
HP/He-RW/Ch-CC/Mn-FW/GW/Ol-NL/Fl-SS/Um-VK/Ka
Mattie Mayson
2004-07-06 21:20:44 UTC
Post by DM
Post by Mattie Mayson
[...]
Hey, isn't this called a 'gum chain?' c'mon, all you born in the 70s know
what I'm talking about!

DM
2004-07-06 21:24:51 UTC
Post by Mattie Mayson
Post by DM
Post by Mattie Mayson
wrappers.
Or, Hang on for this, the gum wrappers actually contain a magic spell,
bit by bit, and she's giving them to Neville so he may help defeat
Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers, they'll create a
completed weapon. Harry will then throw the gum wrapper ball at
Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord once and for all.
(It's Tequila night!)
--
DM
---
Hey, isn't this called a 'gum chain?' c'mon, all you born in the 70s know
what I'm talking about!
-Mattie
I never learned how to folder them. Noone would ever show me. :(

All mine were glued together.
--
DM
---

,_,
(O,O)
( )
-"-"-

---

Mike Hanson
2004-07-07 05:48:22 UTC
Post by DM
Post by Mattie Mayson
Hey, isn't this called a 'gum chain?' c'mon, all you born in the 70s know
what I'm talking about!
1969, and I have no idea what you mean! :-)
Post by DM
I never learned how to folder them. Noone would ever show me. :(
All mine were glued together.
Gluing this thread back onto its subject...the wrapper protects the
gum. I like to see this as a touching depiction of some corner of
Alice Longbottom's shattered mind making its best, crippled effort to
protect the child she barely recognises.
Mike.
Robyn, Duke of Amber
2004-07-07 08:01:44 UTC
Post by Mike Hanson
Post by DM
I never learned how to folder them. Noone would ever show me. :(
All mine were glued together.
Gluing this thread back onto its subject...the wrapper protects the
gum. I like to see this as a touching depiction of some corner of
Alice Longbottom's shattered mind making its best, crippled effort to
protect the child she barely recognises.
Tin foil hats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will protect the Longbottom from CIA satelites as well as death
curses.

the pig puppet agrees.

Neil
Toon
2004-07-08 07:28:35 UTC
Post by Mike Hanson
Post by DM
I never learned how to folder them. Noone would ever show me. :(
All mine were glued together.
Gluing this thread back onto its subject...the wrapper protects the
gum. I like to see this as a touching depiction of some corner of
Alice Longbottom's shattered mind making its best, crippled effort to
protect the child she barely recognises.
That's what I see. Mother's love. She knows this is her son, and she
knows it's XMAS time. So she's giving him a gift. What her insanity
says is appropriate, or proper, or what have you.
----
Free Report: How To Write A Book in 14 Days or Less! http://www.mcssl.com/app/aftrack.asp?afid=114999

----
Alley Rabbit
2004-07-07 15:47:20 UTC
Post by DM
Post by Mattie Mayson
Post by DM
Post by Mattie Mayson
wrappers.
Or, Hang on for this, the gum wrappers actually contain a magic
spell, bit by bit, and she's giving them to Neville so he may help
defeat Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers, they'll
create a completed weapon. Harry will then throw the gum wrapper
ball at Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord once and for all.
(It's Tequila night!)
--
DM
---
Hey, isn't this called a 'gum chain?' c'mon, all you born in the
70s know what I'm talking about!
-Mattie
I never learned how to folder them. Noone would ever show me. :(
All mine were glued together.
http://www.gumwrapper.com/ - click on Build...

Alley Rabbit - who once had a loooooong gum chain
"I solemnly swear I am up to no good,"
DM
2004-07-07 22:26:37 UTC
Post by Alley Rabbit
Post by DM
Post by Mattie Mayson
Post by DM
Post by Mattie Mayson
wrappers.
Or, Hang on for this, the gum wrappers actually contain a magic
spell, bit by bit, and she's giving them to Neville so he may help
defeat Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers, they'll
create a completed weapon. Harry will then throw the gum wrapper
ball at Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord once and for all.
(It's Tequila night!)
--
DM
---
Hey, isn't this called a 'gum chain?' c'mon, all you born in the
70s know what I'm talking about!
-Mattie
I never learned how to folder them. Noone would ever show me. :(
All mine were glued together.
http://www.gumwrapper.com/ - click on Build...
Alley Rabbit - who once had a loooooong gum chain
AHAHAHAHAHA, I'll be chewing gum all weekend!

Thanks, Alley! :)
--
DM
---

,_,
(O,O)
( )
-"-"-

---

Philip Lewis
2004-07-07 13:53:20 UTC
Post by DM
Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers, they'll create a
completed weapon. Harry will then throw the gum wrapper ball at
Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord once and for all.
Everybody run! The boy named Neville has some gum!
The boy -- named -- Neville -- has some gum!
--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")
Fish Eye no Miko
2004-07-07 18:59:04 UTC
Post by Philip Lewis
Post by DM
Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers, they'll
create a completed weapon. Harry will then throw the gum
wrapper ball at Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord once
and for all.
Everybody run! The boy named Neville has some gum!
The boy -- named -- Neville -- has some gum!
How can you do what you've just done?
Could it be you found out you were almost The One?

Catherine Johnson. "I did it... for Connie..."
--
fenm at cox dot net
Right now you are reading my .sig quote.
Philip Lewis
2004-07-07 22:07:07 UTC
Post by Fish Eye no Miko
Catherine Johnson. "I did it... for Connie..."
glad someone got it...
;)
Fish Eye no Miko
2004-07-07 23:52:31 UTC
Post by Philip Lewis
Post by Fish Eye no Miko
Catherine Johnson. "I did it... for Connie..."
glad someone got it...
;)
I was actually thinking of that song a few days ago, in fact. ^_^

Catherine Johnson. "Throw down your wand and gum wrappers and come out of
the dorm.."
George Johnson
2004-07-06 23:12:09 UTC

Book #7 - "Harry Potter and the Gum Wrapper Foil Ball of DOOM-ination"
kcolrawyksthgin
2004-07-07 00:09:55 UTC
Post by DM
Or, Hang on for this, the gum wrappers actually contain a magic spell,
bit by bit, and she's giving them to Neville so he may help defeat
Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers, they'll create a
completed weapon. Harry will then throw the gum wrapper ball at
Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord once and for all.
He'll have a power the dark lord knows not.

And by "power", I mean gum.
--
-b, CCNA

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
Displayed email address has been spamproofed, reverse username to deproof.
Fish Eye no Miko
2004-07-07 02:20:24 UTC
Post by kcolrawyksthgin
Post by DM
Or, Hang on for this, the gum wrappers actually contain a magic
spell, bit by bit, and she's giving them to Neville so he may help
defeat Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers,
they'll create a completed weapon. Harry will then throw the
gum wrapper ball at Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord
once and for all.
He'll have a power the dark lord knows not.
And by "power", I mean gum.
"I'm here to kick arse and chew gum! And I all outta--oh, no wait, here's
some more... " <chews gum, kicks arse>

Catherine Johnson. "Gum"... fun word. ^_^
brand
2004-07-07 05:02:15 UTC
Post by kcolrawyksthgin
Post by DM
Or, Hang on for this, the gum wrappers actually contain a magic spell,
bit by bit, and she's giving them to Neville so he may help defeat
Voldemort! When Neville combines all the wrappers, they'll create a
completed weapon. Harry will then throw the gum wrapper ball at
Voldemort and destroy the Dark Lord once and for all.
He'll have a power the dark lord knows not.
And by "power", I mean gum.
Nope. The "power" will be a bazooka. That way Harry can bazooka Volders butt
while chewing Bazooka gum.
Alex Bell
2004-07-06 23:46:59 UTC
According to mugglenet.com, Drooble's Best Blowing Gum is an anagram of
"gold bribe below St Mungo's"
Possibly just a cioncidence but you never know.
Mattie Mayson
2004-07-07 11:48:06 UTC
Wow. Now figuring THAT kind of thing out is obsessiveness I admire!

-Mattie

Do not fear your enemies. The worst they
can do is kill you. Do not fear friends.
At worst, they may betray you. Fear those
who do not care; they neither kill nor
betray, but betrayal and murder exist
because of their silent consent.

-- Bruno Jasienski

PButler111
This is really, really, *really* stupid.
Christine
2004-07-07 04:48:52 UTC
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers.
This is really, really, *really* stupid.
Well, do you have a better theory? I do think there is some puzzle to the
gum wrappers, they are littered about J K Rowling's desk at her website. The
gift of the wrappers strikes me as odd in the book, and I think there's more
to it than idle gifts of empty gum wrappers. It's one thing to disagree or
dismiss a theory, but to simply label one as stupid seems, well, stupid.
Maria Danielle Darst
2004-07-07 05:52:01 UTC
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers.
This is really, really, *really* stupid.
Well, do you have a better theory? I do think there is some puzzle to the
gum wrappers, they are littered about J K Rowling's desk at her website. The
gift of the wrappers strikes me as odd in the book, and I think there's more
to it than idle gifts of empty gum wrappers. It's one thing to disagree or
dismiss a theory, but to simply label one as stupid seems, well, stupid.
Just my .02 about the wrappers on JK's website...didn't she say that she
liked to chew gum while writing? I personally loved the stuff @ my last
job....I worked as a dispatcher and was on the phone and radio all the
time....chewing gum kind of kept me in the groove...I would have wrappers
all over my desk by the time the shift was over with...and people always
knew who to ask when they needed a stick...*lol*

Of course...I still pop my gum...husband thinks I should have outgrown that
habit long ago...but I digress.....*lol*

Maria
PButler111
2004-07-07 12:01:21 UTC
Subject: Re: Neville and the Gum Wrappers... a theory
Date: 7/6/2004 11:48 PM Central Daylight Time
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers.
This is really, really, *really* stupid.
Well, do you have a better theory? I do think there is some puzzle to the
gum wrappers, they are littered about J K Rowling's desk at her website. The
gift of the wrappers strikes me as odd in the book, and I think there's more
to it than idle gifts of empty gum wrappers. It's one thing to disagree or
dismiss a theory, but to simply label one as stupid seems, well, stupid.
It's not something that requires a theory, any more than Mark Evans was. Not
everything has a double meaning or hides a looming plotline. I appreciate that
you're bored waiting for a new book to come out, but the endless theorizing on
nothing gets tiring.
Pete
2004-07-07 20:46:48 UTC
Date: 7/6/2004 11:48 PM Central Daylight Time
Post by PButler111
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
[...]
Not everything has a double meaning or a looming plotline,
but.......... some things obviously do.

It's clear as daylight that as the series reaches its climax, Rowling
will introduce plot developments which have been hinted at in previous
books.

It's very clear that Neville is shaping up to become a crucial
character (I'm guessing far more important to the defeat of Voldmort
than either Ron or Hermione), and yet we know remarkably little about
him. Therefore something as significant as the hospital scene in OotP
might very well contain important clues for HBP and Book 7.

Of course, the gum wrappers *might* not be significant - but to
dismiss them out-of-hand as "nothing" is ridiculous.

Pete
PButler111
No, Pete, it really, really isn't.
RCLOVELY
2004-07-07 22:03:50 UTC
Post by Pete
Of course, the gum wrappers *might* not be significant - but to
dismiss them out-of-hand as "nothing" is ridiculous.
JKR was chewing gum when she was quitting smoking, while she was writing OotP.
She had gum wrappers all over her desk. She needed something for Alice to give
Neville. She saw the gum wrappers and said to herself, "That's it" The answer
could be as simple as that.

RC
Mattie Mayson
2004-07-07 20:49:57 UTC
Date: 7/6/2004 11:48 PM Central Daylight Time
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
Post by PButler111
everything has a double meaning or hides a looming plotline. I appreciate that
you're bored waiting for a new book to come out, but the endless theorizing on
nothing gets tiring.
Believe it or not, some of us actually find it FUN... which is a concept
you may need to learn to grasp. They may not pass you out of first grade
unless you do. ;)

-Mattie

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Adding up the total of a love that's true...
multiply life by the power of two"

-Indigo Girls, "Power of Two"

PButler111
2004-07-08 00:11:48 UTC
Post by Mattie Mayson
Believe it or not, some of us actually find it FUN... which is a concept
you may need to learn to grasp. They may not pass you out of first grade
unless you do. ;)
-Mattie
The fact that the only way you can respond to anyone disagreeing with you is by
hurling idiotic insults at them makes it clear you have nothing to say.
Mike Hanson
2004-07-08 10:48:57 UTC
Post by PButler111
Post by Mattie Mayson
Believe it or not, some of us actually find it FUN... which is a concept
you may need to learn to grasp. They may not pass you out of first grade
unless you do. ;)
The fact that the only way you can respond to anyone disagreeing with you is
by hurling idiotic insults at them makes it clear you have nothing to say.
It was not your disagreeing that prompted Mattie's response: it was
the rudeness with which you did it, and which seems to colour the
majority of your posts. To write without regard for manners is to
present yourself as immature. If you do not wish to appear this way,
then stop presenting yourself this way.
Mike.
PButler111
2004-07-08 12:05:57 UTC
Date: 7/8/2004 5:48 AM Central Daylight Time
Post by PButler111
by hurling idiotic insults at them makes it clear you have nothing to say.
It was not your disagreeing that prompted Mattie's response: it was
the rudeness with which you did it, and which seems to colour the
majority of your posts. To write without regard for manners is to
present yourself as immature. If you do not wish to appear this way,
then stop presenting yourself this way.
--
Mike.
My response was not even in the same postal code of rudeness as the juvenile
Mattie's. And if you don't like my posts, dear, please feel free to killfile
me.
Mike Hanson
2004-07-09 05:22:41 UTC
Date: 7/8/2004 5:48 AM Central Daylight Time
It was not your disagreeing that prompted Mattie's response: it was
the rudeness with which you did it, and which seems to colour the
majority of your posts. To write without regard for manners is to
present yourself as immature. If you do not wish to appear this way,
then stop presenting yourself this way.
My response was not even in the same postal code of rudeness as the juvenile
Mattie's.
Granted that Mattie's was an open piss-take, your personal comments
nevertheless began long before this thread.
Post by PButler111
And if you don't like my posts, dear, please feel free to killfile
me.
The fact that I do occasionally read your posts should tell you that I
think you may have something interesting to say. You are clearly
intelligent and enthused by the books, and your posts are on-topic.
But you do yourself no favours by, for example, inserting the word
"dear" when addressing me above, or by saying things like "I'm sure
you'd all make great contract lawyers." Doing so will merely make
people *disinclined* to take what you say seriously and, perchance, to
be persuaded to your point of view.

It's like providing an audience with earmuffs in order to make it hard
for them to hear you. It seems kind of pointless. Can you think of any
disadvantages to be had from adopting a more respectful tone?
Mike.
PButler111
2004-07-09 12:27:06 UTC
Date: 7/9/2004 12:22 AM Central Daylight Time
Date: 7/8/2004 5:48 AM Central Daylight Time
Post by PButler111
Mattie's.
Granted that Mattie's was an open piss-take, your personal comments
nevertheless began long before this thread.
But this is this thread and no other, so your remarks about any other thread
are irrelevant.
Post by PButler111
And if you don't like my posts, dear, please feel free to killfile
me.
The fact that I do occasionally read your posts should tell you that I
think you may have something interesting to say. You are clearly
intelligent and enthused by the books, and your posts are on-topic.
Gee, thanks, dad.
But you do yourself no favours by, for example, inserting the word
"dear" when addressing me above, or by saying things like "I'm sure
you'd all make great contract lawyers." Doing so will merely make
people *disinclined* to take what you say seriously and, perchance, to
be persuaded to your point of view.
Why should I care if anyone here takes my point of view about anything? (And,
more importantly, why should you?) We're discussing works of fiction, more
often than not currently *unpublished* works of fiction. My point of view
means no more than yours or anyone else's. Maybe you need to lighten up a bit.
It's like providing an audience with earmuffs in order to make it hard
for them to hear you. It seems kind of pointless. Can you think of any
disadvantages to be had from adopting a more respectful tone?
--
Mike
For one thing, you've done nothing to earn my respect. For another thing,
you're not my father, nor this group's moderator, so you can take your lessons
and your self-righteous lectures and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. I'm
not here for you to "improve" me. Now once again, if you don't like my posts,
skip them. I'm not interested in anything else you have to say of a personal
nature.
dvh
2004-07-07 13:55:28 UTC
That's a good point. Bet it isn't a coincidence.
Hidalgo
2004-07-07 15:10:15 UTC
Post by Christine
Post by Mattie Mayson
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers.
Well, do you have a better theory? I do think there is some puzzle to the
gum wrappers, they are littered about J K Rowling's desk at her website.
.
Obviously the wrappers will be fashioned into a tin-foil hat to keep out the
little voices in her head!
PButler111
2004-07-07 17:59:18 UTC
Date: 7/7/2004 8:55 AM Central Daylight Time
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers.
This is really, really, *really* stupid.
Well, do you have a better theory? I do think there is some puzzle to the
gum wrappers, they are littered about J K Rowling's desk at her website.
.
That's a good point. Bet it isn't a coincidence.
I'm sure that part of it isn't a coincidence. But because she stuck in a gum
wrapper because she happened to be looking at a bunch of them on her desktop
(and remember, the website is not an actual aerial view of her desk) doesn't
mean there are darker forces at work.
Mattie Mayson
2004-07-07 11:49:03 UTC
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
If you aren't already sick of my theories, brace yourself for another one.
Or cover your head and cry. Either will do.
The Really Sticky Gum Wrapper Theory
I figured this had probably already been theorizied by people in the
newsgroup, but when I look at the "Unresolved Story Threads" I don't see it
mentioned anywhere. If you already thought of it/posted it, my apologies.
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers.
This is really, really, *really* stupid.
Someone left his sense of humor at home! I'd seriously think about moving
out of your parents' basement and getting some sunlight.

PButler111
2004-07-07 22:02:19 UTC
Date: 7/7/2004 6:49 AM Central Daylight Time
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
Post by PButler111
mentioned anywhere. If you already thought of it/posted it, my apologies.
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband) and it's given to her through the gum. Alice is
under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's attempting to get
Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them the countless gum
wrappers.
This is really, really, *really* stupid.
Someone left his sense of humor at home! I'd seriously think about moving
out of your parents' basement and getting some sunlight.
-Mattie
My parents are dead, thanks, and my computer (on which I've produced two books
while still managing to cruise usenet) is in my apartment, sitting on my desk
which is situated in front of three large, sunny windows. And you?
Mattie Mayson
2004-07-07 22:10:56 UTC
Date: 7/7/2004 6:49 AM Central Daylight Time
Date: 7/6/2004 3:27 PM Central Daylight Time
Post by PButler111
[...]
It's ok, Poindexter. Nobody's really laughing at you. Relax. ;)

-Mattie

There is a theory which states that if ever
anyone discovers exactly what the Universe
is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even
more bizarrely inexplicable.
There is another theory which states
that this has already happened.

-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
by Douglas Adams

Richard Eney
2004-07-07 04:12:03 UTC
Post by Mattie Mayson
If you aren't already sick of my theories, brace yourself for another one.
Or cover your head and cry. Either will do.
The Really Sticky Gum Wrapper Theory
I figured this had probably already been theorizied by people in the
newsgroup, but when I look at the "Unresolved Story Threads" I don't see it
mentioned anywhere. If you already thought of it/posted it, my apologies.
Part of it - the Lucius Malfoy part - but not the significant element.
Post by Mattie Mayson
Here's what I think's going on with Alice handing Neville all those gum
wrappers. She's under some very strong spell which is removing her memory
(and that of her husband)
That we had...
Post by Mattie Mayson
and it's given to her through the gum.
That's new. I like it.
Post by Mattie Mayson
Alice is under the spell but half-conciously knows it, and she's
attempting to get Neville and his grandmother's attention by handing them
the countless gum wrappers.
<snip>
Post by Mattie Mayson
In one of the books, it's mentioned that Lucius Malfoy is a very kind and
generous donor to St. Mungo's. Why? He doesn't really seem to be the...
er... philanthropic type, if you know what I mean. Now that he's in prison,
it would be interesting (and another possible resolution) if the gum gifts
stopped appearing in St. Mungo's and the Longbottoms regained their
memories.
I like that, too. It eliminates the need for anyone else to do any
thinking; the gum stops, they wake up.
Post by Mattie Mayson
Another benefit to this theory would be the fact that it would explain why
Neville's so forgetful. Who's to say he hasn't chewed a piece of their gum
from time to time when visiting his parents?
Or maybe: if he's been given enough wrappers to paper a wall with
them, maybe he has been being affected by a slow build-up of the
leftover effects from the increasing collection of wrappers.
When he was younger, he was more sensitive to it; spending months
away from home at Hogwarts, his memory improves slightly, but he gets
another dose every time he goes home for Christmas and summer.
Post by Mattie Mayson
Another thing to point out is the name of the ward for people with serious
spell damage. Isn't it the Janus Something ward? Those of you who know your
Roman gods will remember that Janus was the two faced god..... which might
be more than a little symbolic of what's going on inside it.
"The two-faced Roman god Janus guarded public gates and private doors.
He bore a key and a stick to hit the unwelcome. His two faces let him
watch both ways at once." (Stuart Gordon, Encyclopedia of Myths and
Legends)

"Janus... was the custodian of the universe, according to Ovid.. he was
the opener and fastener of all things and he looked inwards as well as
out.... (his) shrine in the Forum in Rome with doors on the eastern
and western sides, and these were kept closed in time of peace. In
time of war they were opened for the formal setting out of the army...
his two faces were believed to represent wisdom - seeing both ways he
knew the future as well as the past." (Michael Stapleton, Illustrated
Dictionary of Greek and Roman Mythology)

=Tamar
Toon
2004-07-07 12:24:58 UTC
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:27:38 -0400, "Mattie Mayson"
Post by Mattie Mayson
In one of the books, it's mentioned that Lucius Malfoy is a very kind and
generous donor to St. Mungo's. Why? He doesn't really seem to be the...
er... philanthropic type, if you know what I mean. Now that he's in prison,
it would be interesting (and another possible resolution) if the gum gifts
stopped appearing in St. Mungo's and the Longbottoms regained their
memories.
It's called sucking up. Mr Gives To The Sick can't b an DE, can he?
(OOP don't count, before that revelation.)
----
Free Report: How To Write A Book in 14 Days or Less! http://www.mcssl.com/app/aftrack.asp?afid=114999

----
Mattie Mayson
2004-07-07 20:52:07 UTC
Post by Mattie Mayson
In one of the books, it's mentioned that Lucius Malfoy is a very kind and
generous donor to St. Mungo's. Why? He doesn't really seem to be the...
er... philanthropic type, if you know what I mean. Now that he's in prison,
it would be interesting (and another possible resolution) if the gum gifts
stopped appearing in St. Mungo's and the Longbottoms regained their
memories.
It's called sucking up. Mr Gives To The Sick can't b an DE, can he?
(OOP don't count, before that revelation.)
----
I've never really seen any instances of Malfoy, Sr or even little Draco
'sucking up' when there wasn't some obvious, immediate reason behind doing
so. Somehow donating a whole lot of money to a hospital (and why not
directly to the M.O.M?) doesn't seem up his alley.

-Mattie

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kish
2004-07-07 23:05:55 UTC
Post by Mattie Mayson
I've never really seen any instances of Malfoy, Sr or even little Draco
'sucking up' when there wasn't some obvious, immediate reason behind doing
so. Somehow donating a whole lot of money to a hospital (and why not
directly to the M.O.M?) doesn't seem up his alley.
Fudge says in GoF that Malfoy was cleared of being a Death Eater because
he's from a very old family and because of his generous contributions to
charity. Giving /all/ his bribes directly to the MoM would make it a
little too obvious it's bribery.
Mattie Mayson
2004-07-17 10:15:22 UTC
Post by Kish
Post by Mattie Mayson
I've never really seen any instances of Malfoy, Sr or even little Draco
'sucking up' when there wasn't some obvious, immediate reason behind doing
so. Somehow donating a whole lot of money to a hospital (and why not
directly to the M.O.M?) doesn't seem up his alley.
Fudge says in GoF that Malfoy was cleared of being a Death Eater because
he's from a very old family and because of his generous contributions to
charity. Giving /all/ his bribes directly to the MoM would make it a
little too obvious it's bribery.
Well, he sure didn't seem to have a problem with obvious bribery in the
M.O.M. when Harry saw him there, handing something to Fudge... (book 5)....
which seems to be a direct contradiction.

If he's already paying Fudge directly, why bother sending such generous
donations to St. Mungos?

Toon
2004-07-18 09:03:58 UTC
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:15:22 -0400, "Mattie Mayson"
Post by Mattie Mayson
Post by Kish
Post by Mattie Mayson
so. Somehow donating a whole lot of money to a hospital (and why not
directly to the M.O.M?) doesn't seem up his alley.
Fudge says in GoF that Malfoy was cleared of being a Death Eater because
he's from a very old family and because of his generous contributions to
charity. Giving /all/ his bribes directly to the MoM would make it a
little too obvious it's bribery.
Well, he sure didn't seem to have a problem with obvious bribery in the
M.O.M. when Harry saw him there, handing something to Fudge... (book 5)....
which seems to be a direct contradiction.
If he's already paying Fudge directly, why bother sending such generous
donations to St. Mungos?
No proof it was a bribe.
----

drusilla
2004-07-08 17:33:35 UTC
Post by Mattie Mayson
If you aren't already sick of my theories,
Not actually now that JKR has eliminated one, we nee new stuff <sigh>
Post by Mattie Mayson
The Really Sticky Gum Wrapper Theory
<skip crazy-kinda possible but surely won't hapen theory>
-
-
-

I do not believe that much in this theory, but I agree in some points:

1. Some one (probably Malfoy) could want the Longbottoms shut and away
from everything. Why? If the first order did the same things the new
one, they were after 'possible' Death Eaters' and they knew him very
well. Who's word would have been more believable? Malfoy's or Frank L?
Obvioulsy Frank, cause he was an Auror, and the w. comunity loved him
more that the liked Malfoy.

2. what else the L knew? If they were hidding fom LV as the Potters,
maybe they knew more things about the Prophecy. I do not how can this
be important, but it would be good thing to have it in mind.

3.1 Could they have know that Sirisu was inocent? If they were, then
he'd never gone to Azkaban and Harry woould have been raise by him,
away from the blood protection thing (not saying DD is who wanted them
away). Or
3.2 The Ls could have hardly insisted on raise Harry. He could have
been very weel protected in the house of Aurors.

"don't laugh at my spelling... I've lost my Spanish/English
Dictionary..."
Toon
2004-07-09 09:28:06 UTC
Post by Mattie Mayson
[...]
No matter what, DD would have sent Harry to his Aunt.
----