What Do Wizards Wear Under Their Robes?
s***@gmail.com
2005-02-27 04:54:00 UTC
Sorry if this has been done to death somewhere else, but what do
wizards wear under their ribes. In OotP, there is a scene at the
Quiddict world cup where Archie refuses to wear trousers. The ministry
officials insists that trousers are normal muggle clothing, indicating
that pants aren't normal attire for wizards. Archie wants a "nice
healthy breeze around [his] privates", which suggests that he's
accustomed to not wearing undies. When Voldemort's bosy was resurrected
at the burial scene in OotP Wormtail slipped the robes over his head.
Want do you think? Are there any other passages which would indicated
if anything is woen under the robes?
s***@gmail.com
2005-02-27 08:23:37 UTC
I also just remembered: In OotP the whole team goes into the
lockerroom to change into their quidditch things...males and females
together...
Angrie.Woman
2005-02-28 00:37:24 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
I also just remembered: In OotP the whole team goes into the
lockerroom to change into their quidditch things...males and females
together...
I don't think that's considered incredibly odd in Europe.

Jan van Aalderen
2005-02-28 02:50:12 UTC
Post by Angrie.Woman
Post by s***@gmail.com
I also just remembered: In OotP the whole team goes into the
lockerroom to change into their quidditch things...males and females
together...
I don't think that's considered incredibly odd in Europe.
It would be in the NL, as far as changerooms for sports are concerned.
Not always in establishements like sauna's, though.
--
Vriendelijke groet,
Jan van Aalderen, Amstelveen
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
s***@gmail.com
2005-02-27 08:26:38 UTC
together...
Markku Uttula
2005-02-27 12:07:44 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Want do you think? Are there any other passages which
would indicated if anything is woen under the robes?
There's the scene of young Snape in OotP. Also, I recall that in some
book Harry had (at least) his jeans under his robes.
Markku Uttula
Andrew Quin
Alun L. Palmer
2005-02-27 17:45:38 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Sorry if this has been done to death somewhere else, but what do
wizards wear under their ribes. In OotP, there is a scene at the
Quiddict world cup where Archie refuses to wear trousers. The
ministry officials insists that trousers are normal muggle clothing,
indicating that pants aren't normal attire for wizards. Archie wants
a "nice healthy breeze around [his] privates", which suggests that
he's accustomed to not wearing undies. When Voldemort's bosy was
resurrected at the burial scene in OotP Wormtail slipped the robes
over his head.
Want do you think? Are there any other passages which would
indicated if anything is woen under the robes?
That aside, maybe the explanation is that some wizards are very old by
muggle standards (think historic)?
Richard Eney
2005-02-28 00:41:24 UTC
Post by Alun L. Palmer
Post by Andrew Quin
Post by s***@gmail.com
Sorry if this has been done to death somewhere else, but what do
wizards wear under their ribes. In OotP, there is a scene at the
Quiddict world cup where Archie refuses to wear trousers. The
ministry officials insists that trousers are normal muggle clothing,
indicating that pants aren't normal attire for wizards. Archie wants
a "nice healthy breeze around [his] privates", which suggests that
he's accustomed to not wearing undies. When Voldemort's bosy was
resurrected at the burial scene in OotP Wormtail slipped the robes
over his head.
Want do you think? Are there any other passages which would
indicated if anything is woen under the robes?
Every scene you just mentioned was from GoF, not OotP.
That aside, maybe the explanation is that some wizards are very old by
muggle standards (think historic)?
The older ones are still only 200 or 300 years old (aside from the
Flamels, who are a special case). In 1700, men were accustomed to wearing
trousers, even though they were shorter than the ankle length trousers
modern muggles wear. Trousers came into fashion in the late 15th
century, so call it 1500 AD. Wizards like to keep the fantasy image of
the wizard in medieval robes, and the old Oxbridge style of wearing the
medieval school robes over your ordinary clothing.

For Quidditch, Harry wears a t-shirt and jeans. On the train, they put
their robes on over their regular clothing. I assume that the school
robes are worn over everyday clothes. Adult wizards may like to wear
robes over ordinary undies without a secondary layer, but in winter I
suspect they put on layers too - otherwise, why does Mrs Weasley knit so
many sweaters? She continued to knit them for, e.g., Percy after he left
school.

=Tamar
Loretta
2005-02-28 05:07:16 UTC
the late 15th century, so call it 1500 AD
that would be the 1400 AD.

Loretta
May God Bless and Keep you
Richard Eney
2005-03-01 02:56:43 UTC
Post by Loretta
the late 15th century, so call it 1500 AD
that would be the 1400 AD.
1400 AD begins the 15th century. /Late/ in the 15th century is
more like 1490 AD. To be conservative, I suggested that the
beginning of trouser wearing by most of the younger men in
fashionable clothing could be put at 1500 AD, the end of the
15th century and beginning of the 16th century.

=Tamar
Alex Clark
2005-03-01 06:57:43 UTC
Post by Loretta
the late 15th century, so call it 1500 AD
that would be the 1400 AD.
Each century counts up to the round number that begins with the same
digit(s) as the number of the century. For example, the 18th century
counted up to 1800. The 15th century counted up to 1500. And so on.

Imagine the years in lines of 100 numbers each. You scan across the
first line as far as the number 100, and then you find 101 at the
beginning of the 2nd line, which goes up to 200, and 201 begins the 3rd
line, etc.

Another way to figure it out is to remember that century = 100. So
15 centuries = 15 * 100 = 1500. Therefore the 15th century is completed
by the year 1500.
--
Alex Clark

Dorm lord ale vomit (an anagram rejected by Tom Riddle)
s***@gmail.com
2005-02-27 20:03:48 UTC
Ooops! You're right! I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote
that stuff.
Colin McAlpine CS2001
2005-02-28 13:53:04 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Sorry if this has been done to death somewhere else, but what do
wizards wear under their ribes. In OotP, there is a scene at the
Quiddict world cup where Archie refuses to wear trousers. The ministry
officials insists that trousers are normal muggle clothing, indicating
that pants aren't normal attire for wizards. Archie wants a "nice
healthy breeze around [his] privates", which suggests that he's
accustomed to not wearing undies. When Voldemort's bosy was resurrected
at the burial scene in OotP Wormtail slipped the robes over his head.
Want do you think? Are there any other passages which would indicated
if anything is woen under the robes?
I like a nice healty breeze around mine, its riveting and an
overwhelming sense of freedom wearing a kilt with no kecks. Thats not
too say I'd enjoy wearing it all the time, but none the less I enjoy
having a healthy breeze around my nether regions
LouAnn
2005-02-28 15:12:57 UTC
Post by Colin McAlpine CS2001
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
OHHHHH !!! Colin you naughty boy.

I am assumming that 'kecks' is slang for underwear. Hmmmm? Boxers or
briefs?

LouAnn
HP Cult Leader
Ken
2005-02-28 20:39:22 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Sorry if this has been done to death somewhere else, but what do
wizards wear under their ribes. In OotP, there is a scene at the
Quiddict world cup where Archie refuses to wear trousers. The
ministry officials insists that trousers are normal muggle
clothing, indicating that pants aren't normal attire for wizards.
Archie wants a "nice healthy breeze around [his] privates", which
suggests that he's accustomed to not wearing undies. When
Voldemort's bosy was resurrected at the burial scene in OotP
Wormtail slipped the robes over his head. Want do you think? Are
there any other passages which would indicated if anything is woen
under the robes?
In Snapes worst memory where James held him upside down... Snape exposed his
greying underpants. And when Malfoy talked of Hermione hanging upside down
he expected he would see her knickers*

Ken

*"What's that supposed to mean?" said Hermione defiantly. "Granger, they're
after Muggles, "said Malfoy. "D'you want to be showing off your knickers in
midair? Because if you do, hang around. . . they're moving this way, and it
would give us all a laugh."
Richard Eney
2005-03-01 02:59:44 UTC
Post by Ken
In Snapes worst memory where James held him upside down... Snape exposed
his greying underpants. And when Malfoy talked of Hermione hanging upside
down he expected he would see her knickers
Since Slytherin silver is essentially grey, maybe Snape was wearing
his House colors. I think the suggestion could be made that what
was really revealed was that Snape was too poor to own anything but
school robes.

=Tamar
Loretta
2005-02-28 23:30:57 UTC
what is Kecks?

Loretta
May God Bless and Keep you
Richard Eney
2005-03-01 03:00:09 UTC
Post by Loretta
what is Kecks?
UK slang for underwear.

=Tamar
Chris Schumacher
2005-02-28 17:20:11 UTC
Q: Is anything worn under a wizard's robe?
A: No, it's all in working order.

-==Kensu==-
Bernie Dwyer
2005-02-28 22:51:54 UTC
Post by Chris Schumacher
Q: Is anything worn under a wizard's robe?
A: No, it's all in working order.
-==Kensu==-
Boom *tish*
--

Bernie Dwyer
There are no 'z' in my email address
s***@gmail.com
2005-03-19 05:17:12 UTC
I just remembered something; In OotP, Malfoy takes points from
Gryfinddow because Ron's shirt wasn't tucked in. Tucked into what???
The other passages in the book about bulging fronts of robes seems to
suggest that the robes are pulled over the head.
Spaminator
2005-03-19 06:03:15 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
I just remembered something; In OotP, Malfoy takes points from
Gryfinddow because Ron's shirt wasn't tucked in. Tucked into what???
The other passages in the book about bulging fronts of robes seems to
suggest that the robes are pulled over the head.
I think it's a matter of personal preference. In book 5 Snape is
wearing nothing but some greying underpants. In book 4 one of the
wizards states that he likes a nice, healthy breeze on his privates.
I'm sure they would be allowed to wear pants beneath their robes if
they wished as well. This would support Snape telling Potter to turn
out his pockets. For robes to have pockets would be rather distracting
I would think. If you were carrying things in them the items would
swing around and thump into you a lot. So I would think that many of
the students wear pants beneath their robes.
Jan van Aalderen
2005-03-21 23:39:05 UTC
Post by Spaminator
Post by s***@gmail.com
I just remembered something; In OotP, Malfoy takes points from
Gryfinddow because Ron's shirt wasn't tucked in. Tucked into what???
The other passages in the book about bulging fronts of robes seems to
suggest that the robes are pulled over the head.
I think it's a matter of personal preference. In book 5 Snape is
wearing nothing but some greying underpants. In book 4 one of the
wizards states that he likes a nice, healthy breeze on his privates.
I'm sure they would be allowed to wear pants beneath their robes if
they wished as well. This would support Snape telling Potter to turn
out his pockets. For robes to have pockets would be rather distracting
I would think. If you were carrying things in them the items would
swing around and thump into you a lot. So I would think that many of
the students wear pants beneath their robes.
If I recall correctly - but it could be a movierelated mismemorization
-, the incident you refer to took placed when Harry was rooming the
corridor in the middle of the night, investigating on Peter Pettigrews
appearance - who was supposed to be dead - on the Marauders Map running
around in said corridor. Likely he wore pyjama's at that occasion.
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
richard e white
2005-03-22 08:29:12 UTC
Post by Jan van Aalderen
Post by Spaminator
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
Was this thread started on the movie or the books?
because your answer is only in the movie.

--
Richard The Blind Typer
Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.
richard e white
2005-03-22 08:27:05 UTC
Post by Spaminator
Post by s***@gmail.com
I just remembered something; In OotP, Malfoy takes points from
Gryfinddow because Ron's shirt wasn't tucked in. Tucked into what???
The other passages in the book about bulging fronts of robes seems to
suggest that the robes are pulled over the head.
I think it's a matter of personal preference. In book 5 Snape is
wearing nothing but some greying underpants. In book 4 one of the
wizards states that he likes a nice, healthy breeze on his privates.
I'm sure they would be allowed to wear pants beneath their robes if
they wished as well. This would support Snape telling Potter to turn
out his pockets. For robes to have pockets would be rather distracting
I would think. If you were carrying things in them the items would
swing around and thump into you a lot.
That depends on how tight the robe is or weather you put a belt or tie
string around the out side of the robe.
I have worn robes of many kinds at ren fairs and the like. and many of the
robes have hidden pockets. weather things swing around is mainly how you
wear them.
Post by Spaminator
So I would think that many of
the students wear pants beneath their robes.
I think it depends on the person and the temp.
I wear sweats often when it is cold and often a swim trunks when hot. but
where I go is near the beach and I often go for a dip after the events I
wanted to hit.
So my guess would depend on the day you asked the question.

drusilla
2005-03-22 15:05:17 UTC
Post by richard e white
Post by Spaminator
Post by s***@gmail.com
I just remembered something; In OotP, Malfoy takes points from
Gryfinddow because Ron's shirt wasn't tucked in. Tucked into what???
The other passages in the book about bulging fronts of robes seems to
suggest that the robes are pulled over the head.
JO says in one interview she liked te movie uniform. Perhaps she got
confussed?
Post by richard e white
Post by Spaminator
I think it's a matter of personal preference. In book 5 Snape is
wearing nothing but some greying underpants. In book 4 one of the
wizards states that he likes a nice, healthy breeze on his privates.
I'm sure they would be allowed to wear pants beneath their robes if
they wished as well. This would support Snape telling Potter to turn
out his pockets. For robes to have pockets would be rather distracting
I would think. If you were carrying things in them the items would
swing around and thump into you a lot.
FOr hogwarts students, I alwayus thought they are allowed to use what they
want wen it comes to pants. For instance, harry has used pants all his life,
it would be very uncomfortable if suddenly he's forced to use a dress. Also,
I remember that in CoS is said that the twins adn Ron use some times muggle
clother during summer, and I'm sure is because pants are more more
comfortabnle than a robe.
Post by Spaminator
So I would think that many of
the students wear pants beneath their robes.
I think it depends on the person and the temp.
I wear sweats often when it is cold and often a swim trunks when hot. but
where I go is near the beach and I often go for a dip after the events I
wanted to hit.
So my guess would depend on the day you asked the question.
I'm sure the muggle born use pants all the time. It's the days is hot, short
pants then :)